Re: pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From andy
Subject Re: pg 8.3beta 2 restore db with autovacuum report
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> andy wrote:
>> with autovacuum enabled with default settings, cramd.sql is 154M:
>>
>> andy@slacker:/pub/back$ time pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql
>>
>> real    3m43.687s
>
> [...]
>
>> Now I dropdb and disable autovacuum, restart pg:
>>
>> andy@slacker:/pub/back$ time ( pg_restore -Fc -C -d postgres cramd.sql;
>> vacuumdb -z cramd )
>>
>> real    3m47.229s
>> user    0m9.933s
>> sys     0m0.744s
>>
>> Sweet, about the same amount of time.
>
> Thanks.  I find it strange that it takes 3 minutes to restore a 150 MB
> database ... do you have many indexes?
>
> Even though the restore times are very similar, I find it a bit
> disturbing that the "CREATE INDEX" is shown to be waiting.  Was it just
> bad luck that the ps output shows it that way, or does it really wait
> for long?

There are about 800 tables, each has one index.  Most tables (75%) are
very small, the rest have, maybe 50K rows.

I had to run the ps several times to catch it waiting.  It didnt seem to
wait too long.

It was run on my laptop, which may not have the best io times in the
world (and it only has 512 Meg ram).

-Andy