Re: import a .out file - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: import a .out file
Date
List pgsql-novice
Jonathon Stierman wrote:
> Forgive my complete lack of knowledge here, but I have a bit of a problem!
>
> I'm in the middle of moving a website from one server to another, and it
> happens to be that POSTGRESQL is not available on the new server (MYSQL and
> MSSQL are the only ones supported).  I have been given a .out file which
> appears to contain PostGre-specific SQL code.  I tried importing it directly
> to MYSQL without success -- I knew it wasn't going to be that easy, but I
> had to try :)
>
> I wasn't able to find anything specific about .out files using the search
> feature on postgresql.org -- is this a standard format for data dumps?
> What's the best way to import this data, and eventually get it into an MSSQL
> (preferred) or MYSQL (if it's easier)?

First, you will have to determine how the ".out" file was produced.  Ask
the person who created it.  It sounds like it might be a database dump.
 If that is the case, you will indeed have some work ahead of you as you
translate all the postgresql-specific stuff into mysql or mssql.  Some
of that can be handled by database tools, but some might need to be done
by hand.

Sean