Re: import a .out file - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: import a .out file
Date
List pgsql-novice
--- Jonathon Stierman <jonathon@vimm.com> wrote:
> Forgive my complete lack of knowledge here, but I have a bit of a problem!
>
> I'm in the middle of moving a website from one server to another, and it
> happens to be that POSTGRESQL is not available on the new server (MYSQL and
> MSSQL are the only ones supported).  I have been given a .out file which
> appears to contain PostGre-specific SQL code.  I tried importing it directly
> to MYSQL without success -- I knew it wasn't going to be that easy, but I
> had to try :)
>
> I wasn't able to find anything specific about .out files using the search
> feature on postgresql.org -- is this a standard format for data dumps?
> What's the best way to import this data, and eventually get it into an MSSQL
> (preferred) or MYSQL (if it's easier)?

I am not familiar with anything known as a ".out" file.  However, I have a guest as to what it is.

the pg_dump shell command will dump a database to a text file.  The DBA that uses this shell
command if free to specify any name and extension that the DBA desires.  Your DBA must have chosen
".out" has his/her preference.  I like to use ".dump" myself.  I've seen others use ".sql"

Your second problem is that, postgresql contains alot of features and datatypes ( some part of the
SQL standard, and others are PostgreSQL extensions to the standard), that are not supported by
MySQL or MSSQL server. {Pretty much every RDBMS has its own extesions not supported by the
compitition.}  You will have to search to ".out" file to see if the original DB designer employeed
and of the advanced features that PostgreSQL offers.  If the DB designer only use the "plain
vanilla" features it will be easier to port the database.

You probably will not find any how-to pages on the PostgreSQL website that shows how to port
PostgreSQL to MySQL or MSSQL Server.  However, if you search MySQL's homepage I would imagine that
they have some porting instructions that would be helpful to you.

HTH,

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.