Re: SQL feature requests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: SQL feature requests
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Chuck McDevitt wrote:
> PostgreSQL already has a huge amount of
> "non-standard" syntax and semantics (perhaps "extensions" is a better
> word?).
> Everything from non-standard cast operator, non-standard substr,
> non-standard trim, non standard group by semantics (allowing simple ints
> to mean column number)... Given a day, we could probably write down
> several pages of "non-standard" features of PGSQL.

Quite so, and I've perpetrated a few myself. But for the most part they
are either there for legacy reasons or add significant extra functionality.

I rather like Alvaro's compromise suggestion re aliases in fact. At
least there seems to be a better case for that than for "group by 'blurfl'".

But the argument that convinces me is not that it follows some de facto
standard, but that it would add to clarity. Requiring an alias where it
isn't used seems to me a piece of less than excellent design.

cheers

andrew