Re: SQL feature requests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chuck McDevitt
Subject Re: SQL feature requests
Date
Re: SQL feature requests  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-hackers

MySQL
> too. Or perhaps you'd like us to follow Oracle's treatment of NULL.
Who
> gets to choose what is the de facto standard we follow?
>
> cheers
>
> Andrew

You must be joking... PostgreSQL already has a huge amount of
"non-standard" syntax and semantics (perhaps "extensions" is a better
word?).
Everything from non-standard cast operator, non-standard substr,
non-standard trim, non standard group by semantics (allowing simple ints
to mean column number)... Given a day, we could probably write down
several pages of "non-standard" features of PGSQL.

Who decides what de facto standards to support, and which not?  The
PostgreSQL community of course.

In general, we wouldn't want to support any de facto standard that:
 1.  Is supported only by one vendor 2.  Causes any standard SQL statement to fail, or return a different
answer from the standard.

The proposed change doesn't fail either of these.