Re: Finding my database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Finding my database
Date
Re: Finding my database  ("Adrian Pitt" <apitt@nectar.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
On 17/08/2007 05:44, apitt@tech2u.com.au wrote:

> needed to move it to the D Drive.  After completely messing everything up, I
> am now unable to get it working.  I have uninstalled everything and now have
> v8.2 installed on the D drive, and I put the data directory back within that

I know it's not a lot of help to you at this point, but the recommended
way to backup and restore a database is using pg_dump, and if you're
moving from one major version to another it's the only way.

Was the previous installation of Postgres also 8.2? If not - if it was
an earlier version - I'd put the old version back, point it at the data
directory, then use pg_dump to export the data if you want to upgrade at
that point.

Have a look at the following, and in particular the examples towards the
bottom:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/app-pgdump.html

HTH,

Ray.