Finding my database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Finding my database
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi

I initially had the Windows version of PostgreSQL v8.0 running on my C drive
and was connected to a database in the data subdirectory below PostgreSQL.  I
needed to move it to the D Drive.  After completely messing everything up, I
am now unable to get it working.  I have uninstalled everything and now have
v8.2 installed on the D drive, and I put the data directory back within that
installation.  On windows start up I am unable to get the service to start
and it generates the following message:

Error #1
Unable to connect to PostgreSQL (Port#:5432) to get the list of databases.
The error was:
101 - SQLSTATE = 08001

My question is, how do I get it to see the database which is still right
there so this message goes away and all is normal again.  I am totally
stumped as it must be the most unintuitve program I have ever come across,
and trying to find anything in the 1600+ page manual is fruitless.  I am
hoping I have not deleted any critical files.

Can users give me some guidance please, as I am totally unfamiliar with the
complexities of the program.  I'm just an end user of the database within a
separate program.

Thanks,
Adrian