Re: Data Mart with Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From André Volpato
Subject Re: Data Mart with Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Decibel! escreveu: <blockquote cite="mid20070808220305.GY20424@nasby.net" type="cite"><pre wrap="">On Wed, Aug 08,

I�m working with a small project to a client, using Postgres to
store data in a dimensional model, fact-oriented, e.g., a Datamart.
At this time, all I have is a populated database, with the "star
schemma" common relations (PK�s / FK�s).
Below is a list of the main goals of this project :
1. Front-end app (PHP5)
2. Transactional database for this app (Postgres)
3. Datamart in Postgres (described above)
4. ROLAP server that supports Postgres (Java - Mondrian)
5. Front-end app to manage querys to the ROLAP server (JSP - JPivot)
Users will have web access to (1), and will be enable to create
views using (5).
It seems like I�m trying to reinvent the wheel, but the point here
is that the client can�t afford to use proprietary BI solutions, nor
proprietary OS.
What I have read all across the internet is that Postgres does not
support this kind of application, wich demands materialyzed views,
built-in bitmap index, and so on. In the open-source world, I find
those missing features with Mondrian/JPivot.
Does anyone has ever used this structure before ? At least Mondrian
I haven't but it's certainly possible to build a datamart without bitmap
indexes or mviews, it's just a question of performance. MViews you can
build yourself easily enough; as for bitmap indexes, IIRC you can get
isthe ability to have a tool such as JPivot [2], wich implements <br /> tipicaly OLAP navigations, like drill-down and
class="moz-txt-link-freetext"href="http://mondrian.pentaho.org/">http://mondrian.pentaho.org/</a><br /> [2] <a
class="moz-signature"cols="72">--

[]´s,

André Volpato