Re: Time for Vacuum vs. Vacuum Full - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Time for Vacuum vs. Vacuum Full
Date
List pgsql-general
On Aug 9, 2007, at 9:38 AM, Brad Nicholson wrote:

> I have the times that it takes to to do a regular
> vacuum on the clusters, will vacuum full take longer?

almost certainly it will, since it has to move data to compact pages
rather than just tagging the rows as reusable.

you can speed things up by dropping your indexes first, then running
vacuum full, then re-creating your indexes.  this will make for
better (more compact) indexes too.

as for how much longer, I don't know how to estimate that.