Re: Data Mart with Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Data Mart with Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 08:56:47AM -0300, Andr? Volpato wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I�m working with a small project to a client, using Postgres to
> store data in a dimensional model, fact-oriented, e.g., a Datamart.
> At this time, all I have is a populated database, with the "star
> schemma" common relations (PK�s / FK�s).
> Below is a list of the main goals of this project :
> 1. Front-end app (PHP5)
> 2. Transactional database for this app (Postgres)
> 3. Datamart in Postgres (described above)
> 4. ROLAP server that supports Postgres (Java - Mondrian)
> 5. Front-end app to manage querys to the ROLAP server (JSP - JPivot)
> Users will have web access to (1), and will be enable to create
> views using (5).
> It seems like I�m trying to reinvent the wheel, but the point here
> is that the client can�t afford to use proprietary BI solutions, nor
> proprietary OS.
> What I have read all across the internet is that Postgres does not
> support this kind of application, wich demands materialyzed views,
> built-in bitmap index, and so on. In the open-source world, I find
> those missing features with Mondrian/JPivot.
> Does anyone has ever used this structure before ? At least Mondrian
> and JPivot ?

I haven't but it's certainly possible to build a datamart without bitmap
indexes or mviews, it's just a question of performance. MViews you can
build yourself easily enough; as for bitmap indexes, IIRC you can get
those in Bizgres.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Attachment