Re: Reordering columns, will this ever be simple? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Reordering columns, will this ever be simple?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 02:28:20PM -0500, Tony Caduto wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
> >"novnov" <novnovice@gmail.com> writes:
> >

> >>Is there any plan to add such a capability to postgres?
> >>

> >It's been talked about. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in 8.4 but
> >nobody's
> >said they'll be doing it yet and there are a lot of other more exciting
> >ideas
> >too.
> >

> From a admin tool developers perspective the ability to reorder columns
> without manually copying to a new table and all that is pretty exiting :-)

Patches welcome. :)

BTW, this is much more likely to happen if we divorce presentation order
from actual storage order, something that there is some desire to do
because it would allow the engine to automagically store things in the
optimal ordering from an alignment standpoint.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Attachment