Re: todo: Hash index creation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Naz Gassiep
Subject Re: todo: Hash index creation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Wow... not sure how I missed that. I *did* create this schema ages ago, perhaps it wasn't there, or at the time I had
cite="mid:20662.1183344247@sss.pgh.pa.us"type="cite"><pre wrap="">Naz Gassiep <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
creatingtables containing large blocks of text I wish

to index, I've been using HASH as an index method. Please can we state
in the manual that HASH index types are in a beta stage of development
or something similar, or perhaps remove the manual entry altogether
Uh, the manual already does say
   Note: Testing has shown PostgreSQL's hash indexes to perform no better   than B-tree indexes, and the index size and
buildtime for hash indexes   is much worse. Furthermore, hash index operations are not presently   WAL-logged, so hash
indexesmight need to be rebuilt with REINDEX after   a database crash. For these reasons, hash index use is presently
discouraged.

under 11.2 Index Types, as well as various derogatory remarks elsewhere.
        regards, tom lane
 </pre></blockquote>