Re: BUG #3261: autovacuum starts regarding config setting - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #3261: autovacuum starts regarding config setting
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Please CC the list to allow others to participate in the discussion, and
to have it archived for future readers...

Evgeny Gridasov wrote:
> I've seen it analyzing and vacuuming some tables for a long time...
> Is it OK?
> The reason I'm asking I was dump-restoring a huge database, and disabled
> autovacuum in config file.

Well, to avoid XID wrap-around, you have to run (auto)vacuum eventually.
If you don't mind that your clog files will take up more disk space, as
you probably don't if you have a huge database anyways, you can increase
autovacuum_freeze_max_age so you don't need to run it as often.

But I'm starting to wonder if it was the XID wraparound that triggered
the autovacuum after all. You did restart postmaster after setting
autovacuum=off in the config file, right? That's required for the
setting to take effect.

What table is it vacuuming? A recently restored table shouldn't need to
be vacuumed for a long time.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas