COPY FROM - how to identify results? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jaime Silvela
Subject COPY FROM - how to identify results?
Date
Re: COPY FROM - how to identify results?  (Klint Gore <kg@kgb.une.edu.au>)
List pgsql-general
I've written a web application where users can upload spreadsheets,
instead of having to key in forms. The spreadsheets get parsed and
INSERTED into a table, and with the INSERT gets added an identifier so
that I can always trace back what a particular row in the table
corresponds to.
I'd like to use COPY - FROM to achieve the same thing, but a stopping
point is that I don't see how to add the new spreadsheet with a
particular identifier.

I'd like to be able to do something like
COPY mytable (field-1, ..  field-n, id = my_id) FROM file; or
COPY mytable FROM file WITH id = my_id;

A very messy solution would be to create a temp table with a special
name, COPY to it, then INSERT from it to the permanent table. However, I
don't want a solution of that type.

I assume many people have this same problem. Any elegant solutions here?

Thanks
Jaime

Bear Stearns does not provide tax, legal or accounting advice.  You
should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before
engaging in any transaction. In order for Bear Stearns to comply with
Internal Revenue Service Circular 230 (if applicable), you are notified
that any discussion of U.S. federal tax issues contained or referred to
herein is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of:  (A) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code; nor (B) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.