Re: Postgresql to Delphi - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: Postgresql to Delphi
Date
List pgsql-general
Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have posed this question to the Delphi list but they don't appear to
> be able to help.
>
> I am attempting to have the information in a PostgreSQL database table
> trigger a function in Delphi.
>
> At present the delphi application is triggered by a mouseup on a
> TImage file, residing in a notebook,  through an alias
> (DeviceNotebookMouseUpAlias). I want to have the Postgres use this
> alias to trigger the function.
>
> Could someone point me to any literature that would help me with this
> project?
>
> Bob Pawley
I would have replied to the Delphi List if I had seen it :-)

The best way would be to use the listen/notify that PostgreSQL provides,
but only a couple of the Delphi libraries support
notifications from PostgreSQL, zeoslib does not work at all, nor will
the PGSQL driver that shipped with Kylix.
PostgresDAC from Microolap (http://www.microolap.com) will work with
notifications and they have pretty decent support.
If you prefer Dbexpress you could try the driver from www.vitavoom.com
which has support for notifications, but it is a bit pricey compared to
the  Microolap product.  There is also a library for libpq.dll out there
if you want to code really low level.

And for those out there who don't know what Delphi is, check out
http://www.codegear.com
It's basically  Visual Object Pascal and works very similar to VB
version 6, except it has full support for inheritance etc and can
program down to the bare metal using inline Assembler if you really need
to do that :-) It also has full support for pointers etc so you can
pretty much get the performance of C or C++ all in the same package.
Using Delphi for database applications is like being in Paradise all the
time :-)

Later,

--
Tony Caduto