Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases
Date
List pgsql-general
>> There is zero question that 8.2 is faster than 7.4 *but* if 7.4 isn't
>> slow for them... Note, that I meant no reason for him to upgrade 7.4
>> *right now*. He could wait for 8.3. (I think he should get off 7.4 in
>> general)
>
> He could wait for 8.4 as well, as it will be probably faster and have
> more features than 8.3.  Following your reasoning, one could wait
> essentially forever.

You have got to be kidding. There is quite a bit of difference between 3
months and 17 months. From the persons email, he obviously has an array
of production machines. This isn't hack fest 2000, just load up whatever.

My professional opinion, and frankly the opinion we are telling our
customers (except those that will explicitly benefit from something in
8.2) is to wait for 8.3.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/