Re: pg_dumpall and version confusion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dumpall and version confusion
Date
List pgsql-general
Alan J Batsford <AJBatsford@uss.com> writes:
> When I search my system for anything postgres I find a boatload of 8.0.4
> source, and a boatload of 7.4.8 documentation.

"rpm -qa | grep postgres" would probably prove enlightening.  It sounds
like you have postgresql-server at 8.1.4 and the other subpackages at
older releases, which is pretty odd; the RPMs should have had
cross-requires that would prevent that.

> The original problem was recieving 'pg_dumpall: query failed: ERROR:
> column "datpath" does not exist' error when trying to run pg_dumpall. I
> learned that this is expected error if pg_dumpall is too new for the
> database, but it claims to be 7.4.8.

No, usually you have version skew problems if pg_dumpall is too *old*
for the server, which is exactly the case here.  We try to make pg_dump
cope with prior server releases, but since we lack a time machine we
can't go back and teach old versions about subsequent server changes...

            regards, tom lane