Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases
Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 00:10, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Erik Jones wrote:
> >> I really hope you meant upgrades to 8.2.x.  And, no, it's not worth
> >> waiting.  Upgrade at the soonest available opportunity, expecially the
> >> 7.4.x servers.
>
> > I don't really agree with this. If he is running 7.4.16 there very well
> > may be zero compelling reason for him to upgrade.
>
> Really?  There are any number of anecdotal reports of massive speed
> improvements between 7.x and various 8.x versions.  Not to mention a
> few feature improvements.
>
> Now it could well be that none of those affect the OP but 8.3 will have
> the particular shade of magic pixie dust his queries need.  But it seems
> at least as likely that 8.3 will be no significant improvement over 8.2
> for him.  Without any real details about his app, you can't call it
> either way.
>
> I tend to agree with Erik that if you have a window now to upgrade off
> of 7.x, you should do it, rather than waiting for the next release.

I love pgsql as much as anybody, and I generally don't run the latest
release in production until it's about 6 months out of the gate.
Between testing and approval and upgrading all the systems that aren't
production, by the time a new version sees production it pretty much has
to be 4 to 6 months old.

I also tend to run every other version.  I've run 7.2, then 7.4, then
8.1.  I've tested and played with 8.2 and speed wise, it wasn't a
compelling enough upgrade to start the very long process of replacing
8.1 with.  By the time 8.3 comes out, I'll be about ready to start
evaluating our next version of pgsql.

I have to say the update to 8.1 was very compelling, as the query
optimizer was much better, and the ability to use indexes on date
columns with references like now() - interval '5 days' was a huge thing
for my reporting apps.