Re: DST failing on 8.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jaime Silvela
Subject Re: DST failing on 8.1.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks. Yes, I do confirm it was  EST5EDT and I ran your regression to
confirm.
I looked for those timezone files, and they're missing on my production
installation. Probably the upgrade from 7.* to 8.1 was a quick&dirty one.
I don't even have a 'timezone' folder in the share directory. Would it
be dangerous to add one until I can upgrade the production installation?

Thanks again.

Tom Lane wrote:
> Guy Fraser <guy@incentre.net> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 12:12 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> Is it really 'EST5EDT', or 'est5edt' ?  8.1 is case sensitive about this.
>>>

>> /usr/local/share/postgresql/timezone/EST5EDT
>> /usr/local/share/postgresql/timezone/SystemV/EST5EDT
>> /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
>> /usr/share/zoneinfo/SystemV/EST5EDT
>>

> Yeah, that's why it makes a difference.  'est5edt' doesn't match any of
> those and so it gets taken as a POSIX-rule timezone spec.
>
> regression=# set timezone = 'EST5EDT';
> SET
> regression=# select now();
>               now
> -------------------------------
>  2007-03-14 12:52:41.798348-04
> (1 row)
>
> regression=# set timezone = 'est5edt';
> SET
> regression=# select now();
>              now
> ------------------------------
>  2007-03-14 11:52:46.21214-05
> (1 row)
>
> regression=#
>
>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Bear Stearns does not provide tax, legal or accounting advice.  You
should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before
engaging in any transaction. In order for Bear Stearns to comply with
Internal Revenue Service Circular 230 (if applicable), you are notified
that any discussion of U.S. federal tax issues contained or referred to
herein is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of:  (A) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code; nor (B) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.