Re: quoted identifier behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randall Smith
Subject Re: quoted identifier behaviour
Date
Re: quoted identifier behaviour  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Randall Smith wrote:
>> Are there plans to make Postgresql's behavior SQL compliant with
> regards
>> to quoted identifiers?  My specific need is to access tables named in
>> lower case by an uppercase quoted identifier, which is in line with
> the
>> SQL standard.  So if I created table foo, I should be able to access
> it
>> like "FOO".  Is there a configuration options that modifies this
>> behavior or can I change the names in the system tables?
>
> I don't think that there are plans to change this as it would be
> hard to maintain compatibility.

It would be nice to have it as a configuration option though.  That way,
you could have both SQL compliance and backward compatibility.

I'm trying to get Postgresql to work with software that uses JDBC and
Oracle for a large government project.  So I have to report that the
application won't work with Postgresql because it (PG) doesn't adhere to
the standard.  That's usually something I say about Oracle and MySQL.
I'm an advocate of Postgresql and usually tout SQL compliance as a
strength, so it bothers me that this is not in line to be corrected.

> You must not change the names of system tables, but you can
> certainly create upper case views for them.

That's my current solution.  I imagine this is not very efficient, but I
could be wrong.

Thanks.

Randall