Re: postgresql vs mysql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glen Parker
Subject Re: postgresql vs mysql
Date
Re: postgresql vs mysql  (Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com>)
Re: postgresql vs mysql  (Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>)
List pgsql-general
Buy the same token, some application have no use whatsoever for the
distinction between NULL and ''.  In that case, the distinction just
adds work.

I would love to see different ways to handle NULL implemented by the
server.  For what I do, NULL could always compare equal to zero and ''.
  I have no use for NULL in text values.  I do need it for numerics,
however it doesn't mean "unknown", it just means "not entered", which is
different because I always treat it as zero.

I haven't put enough thought into this to make any sort of comprehensive
proposal, but it occurs to me that perhaps it could be integrated into
the type system.  If I were able to specify, for any given type, a value
that should compare equal to NULL ('' for varchar, 0 for int4, for
example), that, in combination with NOT NULL constraints, might just do
it for me.

-Glen