Copy command to load data into a PostgreSQL DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Wm.A.Stafford
Subject Copy command to load data into a PostgreSQL DB
Date
Re: Copy command to load data into a PostgreSQL DB  (Reece Hart <reece@harts.net>)
List pgsql-general

We are having trouble coming up with a column separator for the Oracle
data that is being imported into our PostgreSQL DB.  We are using
Fastreader to dump Oracle tables.  We then use PostgreSQL copy to load
the table data into  PostgreSQL.  Unfortunately, some of the Oracle data
contains every ASCII printable character so we have to dump it with a
non-printing character as the column  separator  We can not  figure out
how to specify a non-printing character for the delimiter in the
PostgreSQL copy command.  If we use '\x05' as suggested by the
Fastreader User guide.  PostgreSQL complains "ERROR:  COPY delimiter
must be a single character".

-=bill stafford