Re: Copy command to load data into a PostgreSQL DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Copy command to load data into a PostgreSQL DB
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Le vendredi 17 novembre 2006 21:46, Wm.A.Stafford a écrit :
> We can not  figure out
> how to specify a non-printing character for the delimiter in the
> PostgreSQL copy command.  If we use '\x05' as suggested by the
> Fastreader User guide.  PostgreSQL complains "ERROR:  COPY delimiter
> must be a single character".
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

A recent migration from Informix made me write next version of pgloader, which
has several interesting features. The one of interest here is that it's able
to replace input data file separator when producing COPY data sent to
PostgreSQL.
One ascii character rarely found into data is §, and the code may allow you to
use non printable character (provided your editor allows you to type it into
the configuration file).

I've had some problems with my cvs pgfoundry credentials, hence the code is
temporally located into pgimport module:
  http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/pgimport/pgimport/

I've made up a debian package, available at debian.dalibo.org repository:
  http://debian.dalibo.org/unstable/
  http://debian.dalibo.org/unstable/pgloader_2.0.2_all.deb