Re: How indexes are updated - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How indexes are updated
Date
List pgsql-general
"Bob Powell" <Bob@hotchkiss.org> writes:
> I think I have proven to myself that when a new record is added to a table it is added to the end of the table.
Also,when a record in a table is updated it is also moved to the bottom of the table.

Only if there's not any free space that could hold the record earlier in
the table.  (The free space has to not only exist, but be entered in the
FSM, though, so there are cases where there might be free space
available but the backend doesn't know about it.)

> Can someone tell me when the indexes on the columns in the table are
> updated.

Immediately after insertion of the record.

            regards, tom lane