Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which
Date
List pgsql-general
Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2006, at 4:27 PM, MargaretGillon@chromalloy.com wrote:
>
>> You're correct, I cannot use the pg_dump. I get a error message that
>> the pg_dump is aborting because of a version mismatch, then it says to
>> use the i opt. How do I call the pg_dump from the 8.1.4 version?
>
> You'll probably need to specify an absolute path. Are both the client
> and server applications running on the same server? If so, you might
> need to get your consultant to tell you where the client applications
> for the 8.1.4 installation were actually installed. By default, postgres
> installs both client and server applications into /usr/local/pgsql, but
> at least one of your installations must be in a different location;
> otherwise, you probably couldn't have two versions of the postmaster
> running concurrently.

Oh, and two other commands you might find useful:
which pg_dump
    Will show you which version of pg_dump is being run by default
alias
    Will let you set up pg_dump81 as an alias for the correct binary you want.

Man pages cover the details.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd