Re: Time to scale up? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Thomas Hallgren
Subject Re: Time to scale up?
Date
Re: Time to scale up?
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>>
>>> Which version of Replication do we throw in here?
>>>
>> IMHO, the current players should be encouraged create a joint
>> portfolio that makes sense.
>
> All due respect   but that is a pipe dream.

Given todays organization yes. Given a more elaborated organization that
encourages efforts like that, absolutely not.

Assume that we had something called the "PostgreSQL utility portfolio".
I.e. an official set of utilities published in such a way that there's
no doubt that they are endorsed by a PostgreSQL community board.

Add a process where proposals for inclusion can be turned in for review.

Finally assume that the community board, when similar proposals arrive,
will encourage the proposing parties to merge on the thesis that
cooperation is far more productive than a beauty contest (well most of
the time anyway).

I promise you that a) it would have the desired effect and b) it is not
just a dream. Other projects do this already. Why would it be so
impossible for us?

Kind Regards,
Thomas Hallgren