Re: Time to scale up? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Time to scale up?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Thomas,

> Finally assume that the community board, when similar proposals
> arrive, will encourage the proposing parties to merge on the thesis
> that cooperation is far more productive than a beauty contest (well
> most of the time anyway).

Ah, so you're planning on merging with PL/J?

The different solutions are different because of technical decisions
which they made differently, usually for very good reasons.   Slony-I
is trigger-based, Mammoth is log-based, and no matter which you prefer
they're not going to merge code.

BTW, our replication/clustering solutions include:

Slony-I
pgPool
Mammoth*
Postgres-R
pgCluster
Sequoia/p|cluster*
dbMirror/eRserv/other older solutions
ExtenDB*
Bizgres MPP*
Windows/Red Hat/Solaris clustered FS*

(*=proprietary/external)

I think any community packaged distribution should encourage this
diversity, not try to crush it.

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco 415-752-2500