Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of comunity) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Madison Kelly
Subject Re: Decide between Postgresql and Mysql (help of comunity)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Marcos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a Postgresql's user and I think that it's very very good and
> robust.
>
> In my work we're confuse between where database is the best choose:
> Postgresql or Mysql. The Mysql have the reputation that is very fast
> working in the web but in our application we are estimating many access
> simultaneous, then I think that the Postgresql is the best choice.
>
> Am I right?
>
> Our server have 1 GB of RAM, how many users can it support at the same
> time with this memory?
>
> Thanks in advanced
>
> Marcos

  The RAM/users question depends largely on what the database is used
for and what each user is doing in the database.

  From what I understand, PostgreSQL is designed with stability and
reliability as key tenants. MySQL favors performance and ease of use. An
example is that, last I checked, MySQL doesn't have an equivalent to
PostgreSQL's 'fsync' which helps insure that data is actually written to
 the disk. This costs performance but increases reliability and crash
recovery.

HTH

Madison

--