Re: Postgre and Visual Basic - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Campbell, Greg
Subject Re: Postgre and Visual Basic
Date
List pgsql-odbc
 > project.dbScholl.Execute StrSql2 , , adCmdText
First, test the SQL statement in something like the SQL window of pgAdmin.

Then
Is dbScholl a database object (like DAO) or an ADODB.Connection object?
You should understand the difference and select one.

Presuming that you really want ADO,
Are you using liked tables? ..
If so then use something like
    CurrentProject.Connection.Execute StrSql2
If not linked tables then use something like
   Dim cnn as new ADODB.Connection
   cnn.Open "DSN=my_dbs_dsn_name" 'or a full PostgreSQL connection string to save a trip to the registry
   cnn.Execute StrSql2

Tim Clarke wrote:
> To debug this sort of issue, take VB out of the picture: once it has
> processed the line creating StrSql2 for you, run the SQL directly in
> Postgres via some other method (we use pgAdmin) and make sure that code
> is OK. Then you'll know whether this is a VB or a Postgres issue.
>
> Tim Clarke

Attachment