PGobject returned from ResultSet.getObject - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kevin Grittner
Subject PGobject returned from ResultSet.getObject
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Attached is a code snippet and the problems from running about 390,000
queries overnight.  This has been happening for us, at low volume, since
we started using PostgreSQL -- initially with the jars that were release
in conjunction with 8.0.  It has happened with the jars released in
conjunction with 8.1.  This latest listing is from a JDBC driver built
off the trunk as of Jan. 13th.

Athena and Plato are two identical PostgreSQL 8.1.2 databases, which
are the targets of identical updates.  In the process generating these
problems, the same SELECT queries were run against both databases at the
same time.  While they both had some of these problems (on the order of
0.001% of the queries run), they did not occur on the SAME queries.  All
columns are defined with either a normal ANSI data type or a DOMAIN
which maps to a normal ANSI data type.

This smells like a race condition of some sort, but I'm not sure how.
Any ideas on where to look or what we could programatically check for
when we see one of these?  I'm casting about for ideas which would avoid
turning on debug logging in the JDBC driver, although I suspect that may
be what we wind up having to do.

-Kevin

Attachment