Re: procedure properties problem - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Rikard Pavelic
Subject Re: procedure properties problem
Date
List pgadmin-support
Dave Page wrote:
> The function written above will never work as you have a mismatch of
> parameter and return types, but in answer to your query, the PostgreSQL
> docs say:
>
> "When there are OUT or INOUT parameters, the RETURNS clause may be
> omitted."
>
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-createfunction.html)
>
> If you remove the OUT/INOUT parameters, pgAdmin will display the
> definition with the RETURNS SETOF clause.
>
> Regards, Dave.

Well, look at this example then

create table tabla
(id integer primary key,data varchar
);

create or replace function example(out data varchar) --returns setof varchar
as $$
select data from tabla
$$
language sql;

insert into tabla values(1,'first example');
insert into tabla values(2,'second example');

select * from example();

If I omit the 'returns setof varchar' I will get only one result from select
If I add 'returns setof varchar' I will get two results.

Best regards,      Rikard