Re: php + postgresql pg_connect problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: php + postgresql pg_connect problem
Date
List pgsql-general
John Taber wrote:
>> You are using "ident" authentication in your pg_hba.conf file. You
>> probably don't want this. Start with trust if you are connecting
>> locally, then turn passwords on once you are happy you can connect.
>
> Thks for directing me to the pg_hda file - I have made the changes - But
> I may have a bigger problem (postmaster).  I tried to restart postmaster
> and found that I don't have a pg_ctl program or script in my /usr/bin
> There is a pg_ctlcluster.  Is that new and replaces pg_ctl ?  Any reason
> pg_ctl could be missing (am I missing a package ?).  While on this
> subject, is there a way to ensure postmaster is started on boot - I see
> postgres scripts in the /etc/rd.d folder - is that enough?  I have the
> Douglas postgresql book to follow details (but haven't read it all) thks.

Ubuntu is basically Debian, and Debian has wrappers so you can run
different versions of PostgreSQL on the same machine. I'm assuming
you've installed from packages, not compiled from source yourself.

On my Debian box, pg_ctl is in /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/, but don't
worry, you don't need to mess with it.
In /etc/init.d/ you'll see a series of scripts that can start/stop
system services. You can run them manually (as root - they switch user
as required) and they also get run from links in /etc/rcX.d (X=1..6)
during startup. There is documentation online about how all this works.

So, on ubuntu you can do the following:
sudo su -
/etc/init.d/postgresql start|stop|reload...
exit

If you run the postgresql script without a parameter, it will show you
all the options.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd