Re: php + postgresql pg_connect problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Taber
Subject Re: php + postgresql pg_connect problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> John Taber wrote:
>
>> I am having trouble connecting php(5.1.1) and postgresql(8.1) running on
>> Ubuntu Breezy. Both run fine separately. I created a user (tempuser) and
>> a database (tempdb).  If I run psql -l it shows the database "tempdb"
>> with the username "tempuser".  But I get the following error using
>> pg_connect:
>>
>> Warning: pg_connect() [function.pg-connect]: Unable to connect to
>> PostgreSQL server: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user
>> "tempuser" in /var/www/db_connect.php on line 14
>

> You are using "ident" authentication in your pg_hba.conf file. You
> probably don't want this. Start with trust if you are connecting
> locally, then turn passwords on once you are happy you can connect.

Thks for directing me to the pg_hda file - I have made the changes - But
I may have a bigger problem (postmaster).  I tried to restart postmaster
and found that I don't have a pg_ctl program or script in my /usr/bin
There is a pg_ctlcluster.  Is that new and replaces pg_ctl ?  Any reason
pg_ctl could be missing (am I missing a package ?).  While on this
subject, is there a way to ensure postmaster is started on boot - I see
postgres scripts in the /etc/rd.d folder - is that enough?  I have the
Douglas postgresql book to follow details (but haven't read it all) thks.