Re: List of prominent users - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: List of prominent users
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Certainly if it has been printed in an article that they use
>> postgresql it would be hard to justify not putting them on the site.
[...]
> I would say that yes that is important. Here is my worry... I have a
> customer named Cisco. I quite literally can not tell you what they
> are using us of for. I can say they are a customer. That is all. Thus I
> have to be careful about how information about Cisco is put out there.

And that's exactly why the "if it has been printed in an article" (and
I'd add "or on the company's own web site") criteria is a good one to use.

For Cisco, when their own web site spells out that       "Cisco's Carrier-Sensitive Routing application stores all the
     provisioned data associated in PostgreSQL. The database supports        active dataset, inactive dataset, and
configurationdata; which        include routes, rules, QOS information, and a great deal of        other information."
and       "Cisco's OnDemand Manager and IP/TV Program Manager use a        PostgreSQL database to store information
abouton-demand        programs and servers. A second database stores information        about the journal records of
OnDemandsessions.       "
It certainly sounds reasonable for us to quote that material and
provide links that reference the sources of those quotes.

Where they use PostgreSQL in other products that haven't been
mentioned by their own PR/Marketing departments; I think the
community certainly should respect their privacy --- after all,
the use of PostgreSQL is quite possibly an important trade secret
that's a key competitive advantage over their competitors
using some expensive database.

Sources:  http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/csr/usergd/ver1_1/csrover.htm
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/csr/install/csrinst.htm
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/webscale/iptv/iptv51/pm_usrgd/chap4.htm