Re: Dynamic web sites with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Dynamic web sites with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Nicolay A Vasiliev wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I'd like to ask the PostgreSQL community for the conseptual thing. We
> develop our web sites using MySQL. We like this for its high speed and
> fulltext search feature.

Cool - how much faster than the other systems you tested against was MySQL?

 > But nowadays our projects are growing fast and
> we afraid our MySQL won't be able to perform large amount of complex
> complicated queries.

Don't be afraid, arm yourself with some facts! MySQL have a lot of
documentation on their website and you can always test the latest
version for free.

Of course - make sure your websites are under an open-source licence or
you are happy paying the licence fee for the business version.

 > So we get a question about altenative SQL server.
> In fact there are not too much from open source SQL servers, I think
> only 2 serious: PostgreSQL and MaxDB. May I sak you about words for
> advocacy or accusation for each of these database servers?

Well, you've come to a PostgreSQL list, so I'll give you two guesses as
to which we prefer? :-)

MaxDB has a lot of history, but the opinions I heard about the code-base
when it was first made open-source were not complimentary. That may of
course change, we'll have to see what Mysql AB do with it.

You've also ignored Firebird, which has been around for a long time as a
Borland DB before becoming open-source. Oh, there's also Ingres recently
set free to roam the plains by C.A.

> Our tasks: static content generation but using of complicated search
> feature on the web site.

You haven't actually provided any information to make a decision. I'm
not sure in what sense you *can* generate static content from a
database. It's also not clear what you mean by a "complicated" search.

In short, the only way you'll know which database suits you is to spend
some time and effort testing. No-one here knows what hardware you will
use, operating-system details, filesystem details, database size,
database structure, number of users, number of concurrent sessions,
usage patterns, client language, application framework, caching
requirements, replication requirements, DBA experience, etc.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd