Re: Dynamic web sites with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nicolay A Vasiliev
Subject Re: Dynamic web sites with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello, Richard, and thanks for your answer!

Best of all, sorry for my poor English cause I am not a native English
speaking man :( .

Richard Huxton wrote:

 > Nicolay A Vasiliev wrote:
 >
 >> Hello there!
 >>
 >> I'd like to ask the PostgreSQL community for the conseptual thing.
We develop our web sites using MySQL. We like this for its high speed
and fulltext search feature.

 > Cool - how much faster than the other systems you tested against was
MySQL?

I meant enough fast for our work. No serious comparison was made, we've
got MySQL because it's more popular using by web-developers.

 > > But nowadays our projects are growing fast and
 >
 >> we afraid our MySQL won't be able to perform large amount of complex
complicated queries.

 > Don't be afraid, arm yourself with some facts! MySQL have a lot of
documentation on their website and you can always test the latest
version for free.

 > Of course - make sure your websites are under an open-source licence
or you are happy paying the licence fee for the business version.

We are using this dbms cause it was installed on our FreeBSD web server
we bought from web hoster.

 > > So we get a question about altenative SQL server.
 >
 >> In fact there are not too much from open source SQL servers, I think
only 2 serious: PostgreSQL and MaxDB. May I sak you about words for
advocacy or accusation for each of these database servers?

 > Well, you've come to a PostgreSQL list, so I'll give you two guesses
as to which we prefer? :-)

I thought maybe anyone made such comparisons.

 > MaxDB has a lot of history, but the opinions I heard about the
code-base when it was first made open-source were not complimentary.
That may of course change, we'll have to see what Mysql AB do with it.

 > You've also ignored Firebird, which has been around for a long time
as a Borland DB before becoming open-source. Oh, there's also Ingres
recently set free to roam the plains by C.A.

Oh, you're right, this make a sense (I mean Firebird). Maybe we will
consider it as a candidate for migrating. But I've read a PostgreSQL
documentation and I liked the PostgreSQL more than firebird (I worked
with Interbase 5 as Delphi developer). I think PostgreSQL is reacher
than it essentially.

 >> Our tasks: static content generation but using of complicated search
feature on the web site.

 > You haven't actually provided any information to make a decision. I'm
not sure in what sense you *can* generate static content from a database.

If we have web pages without changings for a long time it's more simple
to make it static basing on database info and regenerate it after this
base info is changed.

 > It's also not clear what you mean by a "complicated" search.

I meant advanced search with large number of parameters, sorry for this
trouble in formulating.

 > In short, the only way you'll know which database suits you is to
spend some time and effort testing. No-one here knows what hardware you
will use, operating-system details, filesystem details, database size,
database structure, number of users, number of concurrent sessions,
usage patterns, client language, application framework, caching
requirements, replication requirements, DBA experience, etc.

We use FreeBSD OS, our databases are about 5 Gb. Why I asked the
community - I hoped there is some similar experience and somebody could
help basing on this.

 > --
 >   Richard Huxton
 >   Archonet Ltd