Re: Was my question inappropriate for postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mladen Gogala
Subject Re: Was my question inappropriate for postgres?
Date
List pgsql-general
Answers in-line:

On 7/24/22 20:43, Adrian Klaver wrote:
Other parts of Office also use database connectivity such   as Access or Word.

Also, I find variety in the odbc driver.

I don't. ODBC drivers implement the same protocol when communicating with the database and they all work the same. Here is what I have:

Hmm, I wonder why they have versions then?

Good question. One part of the story are package versions, bug fixes and such. However, I think that your question was about the versions of the ODBC protocol. This may answer it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Database_Connectivity

Version history

Version history:[22]

  • 1.0: released in September 1992[23]
  • 2.0: c. 1994
  • 2.5
  • 3.0: c. 1995, John Goodson of Intersolv and Frank Pellow and Paul Cotton of IBM provided significant input to ODBC 3.0[24]
  • 3.5: c. 1997
  • 3.8: c. 2009, with Windows 7[25]
  • 4.0: Development announced June 2016[26] with first implementation with SQL Server 2017 released Sep 2017 and additional desktop drivers late 2018 [27] final spec on Github

By the way, version 4 of the protocol supports "fast_executemany":

https://dbwhisperer.wordpress.com/2020/11/21/pyodbc-fast_executemany-and-oracle-rdbms/

MS SQL ODBC 1.7 and Oracle Instant Client 19.9 ODBC drivers and newer do support "fast_executemany". PostgreSQL ODBC 13 does not. Here is the table:

https://github.com/mkleehammer/pyodbc/wiki/fast_executemany-support-for-various-ODBC-drivers

As to below, really?  If you don't want to answer the question then don't.

Boys just wanna have fun. This is a shameless plug of the famous Cindy Lauper's song, but you get the picture, don't you? To my credit, I didn't answer the 1st one. Tonight, I've been socializing with Sam Adams, so I replied. When someone who doesn't know how to properly write "O365" asks about "how suitable ODBC driver is", then I feel entitled to little fun.

Now, since you don't appear to be a fan of my particular variety of humor, can you possibly translate the question and explain to me what a "suitable driver" is and what is M365? If you manage to prove to me that the question makes sense, I will apologize to the OP and offer you a pint of Sam Adams as an apology for my bad behavior. On the other hand, if the question doesn't make sense, I will gladly accept the same from you.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant