Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: Check that we have a working tar before trying to use it
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 12/8/21 21:16, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2021-12-08 12:53:29 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> It would have passed the test and failed the invocation as before. It
>> turns out that the tar being used is from the (old) MsysGit
>> installation. So I'm rearranging the path so it finds the system tar
>> instead. That should take care of things. (testing first before I do
>> anything else). On my initial test the system tar handled paths with
>> drive specs just fine.
> I just hit this issue. The tar included in a just-updated git-for-windows
> fails with "tar: Cannot connect to c: resolve failed".
>
> Git appears to install itself in front of c:\windows\system32 in PATH (which
> contains the system tar). Which I think means that after edc2332550 this will
> have to be manually addressed by most people running tests on windows
> manually? That doesn't seem great :(

I'm not sure how you're installing git, or even if you're installing it
at all  - maybe it comes with the image you're using. In my standard
Windows VM setup I just install git via chocolatey, and it only puts
git's cmd directory in the path, not the bin directory. This is a git
install option I know I've used in the past when installing manually.
(The setup where bowerbird runs is much older).

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan