Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Arthurs
Subject Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine
Date
Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Yes, shared buffers in postgres are not used for caching -- unlike
Oracle.  Every time we hire an Oracle dba, I have to break them of the
notion (which I shared when I started with postgres -- Josh Berkus and
Josh Drake helped burst that bubble for me) :)

You should gain i/o reduction through increasing kernel buffers --
Postgresql counts on read/write caching through that, so increasing that
should get your performance improvemnets -- though I haven't found the
sweet spot there yet, for solaris.  My biggest challenge with
solaris/sparc is trying to reduce context switching.