Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Donald Courtney
Subject Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine
Date
Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine  (Tom Arthurs <tarthurs@jobflash.com>)
Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@surnet.cl>)
List pgsql-performance
Tom Arthurs wrote:

> According to my research, you only need a 64 bit image if you are
> going to be doing intensive floating point operations (which most db
> servers don't do).  Some benchmarking results I've found on the
> internet indicate that 64 bit executables can be slower than 32 bit
> versions. I've been running 32 bit compiles on solaris for several years.
>
> How much memory do you have on that sparc box?  Allocating more than
> about 7-12% to shared buffers has proven counter productive for us (it
> slows down).

The system has 8 CPUs w/ 32 GB - I'm hoping to see some benefit to large
caches -
Am I missing something key with postgreSQL?

Yes - we have seen with oracle 64 bit that there can be as much as a 10%
hit moving
from 32 - but we make it up big time with large db-buffer sizes that
drastically
reduce I/O and allow for other things (like more connections).  Maybe
the expectation of less I/O is not correct?

Don

P.S.  built with the Snapshot from two weeks ago.