Re: BUG #13800: There is no UNLOAD command - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Daniel Migowski
Subject Re: BUG #13800: There is no UNLOAD command
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Thanks for that explanation.=20

I need to restart the server because on Windows I can't overwrite the DLL w=
hile it is loaded. So I have to restart the server every time. And because =
of my paying customers I have to do coding on Windows.=20

Regards,
Daniel Migowski=20

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]=20
Gesendet: Sonntag, 6. Dezember 2015 16:58
An: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski@ikoffice.de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Betreff: Re: [BUGS] BUG #13800: There is no UNLOAD command

dmigowski@ikoffice.de writes:
> While creating extensions in C it is very cumbersome to disconnect,=20
> restart, connect everytime I recompile my C stuff.

Why would you need to restart?  Just starting a fresh connection ought to b=
e enough.

There's pretty much no chance UNLOAD will ever happen, so don't hold your b=
reath waiting.  We lack any defined method, for example, for extensions to =
disconnect from function hooks once they've inserted something in them.
(Reversing what was done at LOAD time wouldn't work, since it'd break any s=
ubsequent attachments to the same hook.)  Custom GUCs would be another big =
problem to reverse out, and if I'd consumed any caffeine yet today I could =
probably name several other trouble spots.  It's not insoluble, perhaps, bu=
t the amount of work required seems far out of proportion to the benefits.

            regards, tom lane