Re: BUG #13800: There is no UNLOAD command - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #13800: There is no UNLOAD command
Date
List pgsql-bugs
dmigowski@ikoffice.de writes:
> While creating extensions in C it is very cumbersome to disconnect, restart,
> connect everytime I recompile my C stuff.

Why would you need to restart?  Just starting a fresh connection ought to
be enough.

There's pretty much no chance UNLOAD will ever happen, so don't hold your
breath waiting.  We lack any defined method, for example, for extensions
to disconnect from function hooks once they've inserted something in them.
(Reversing what was done at LOAD time wouldn't work, since it'd break any
subsequent attachments to the same hook.)  Custom GUCs would be another
big problem to reverse out, and if I'd consumed any caffeine yet today
I could probably name several other trouble spots.  It's not insoluble,
perhaps, but the amount of work required seems far out of proportion to
the benefits.

            regards, tom lane