Re: Logging question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Tillotson
Subject Re: Logging question
Date
List pgsql-general
Madison Kelly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   This is probably an easy question but I couldn't my answer in the
> docs (I probably looked right at it...).
>
>   Is there any way I can log and/or display database calls for a
> specific database? I am trying to debug a third party program and I
> can see that the problem probably has something to do with the DB call
> (and insert statement). I normally would use a print inside the
> program to see what is being called but this program uses DB calls in
> a way I am not familiar with. If could see what is actually being sent
> it would make my life a lot easier.

http://www.ethereal.com/

I use ethereal (on the client--although it would possibly work on the
server too) in such a case.  It's a bit messy but if you just want to
see what SQL statements were being run, then it works.  I also saw some
where that the new version of ethereal has a dissector for Postgres,
which would presumably show you the communication between the client and
server in a nicely-formatted way.

Paul Tillotson