Re: Logging question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Logging question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:06:20PM -0500, Paul Tillotson wrote:

> I use ethereal (on the client--although it would possibly work on the
> server too) in such a case.  It's a bit messy but if you just want to
> see what SQL statements were being run, then it works.

Caveats: sniffers like ethereal or tcpdump won't work over connections
that use local (Unix domain) sockets, and SSL connections might be
problematic.

> I also saw some where that the new version of ethereal has a dissector
> for Postgres, which would presumably show you the communication
> between the client and server in a nicely-formatted way.

Ethereal 0.10.8 appears to have a PostgreSQL dissector:

Request "create table foo (x integer);
Response CREATE TABLE
Request  insert into foo values (1);
Response INSERT 0 1