Re: ntfs for windows port rc5-2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From J. Greenlees
Subject Re: ntfs for windows port rc5-2
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:39:28AM -0800, J. Greenlees wrote:
>
>>why?
>>since an app that I'm working on would be useless for 60% of potential
>>clients, using posgresql with the requirement for ms' corrupted ntfs
>>means postgresql isn't going to work for it.
>

> I think what you are referring to is the installer refusing to install
> on a NTFS partition. From the FAQ:
>
> http://pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org/FAQ_windows.html
>
> 2.4) Can I install PostgreSQL on a FAT partition?
>
> PostgreSQL's number one priority is the integrity of your data. FAT and
> FAT32 filesystems simply do not offer the reliabilty required to allow
> this. In addition, the lack of security features offered by FAT make it
> impossible to secure the raw data files from unauthorised modification.
> Finally, PostgreSQL utilises a feature called 'reparse points' to
> implement tablespaces. This feature is not available on FAT partitions.
>
> <snip>
>
> It is recognised however, that on some systems such as developer's PCs,
> FAT partitions may be the only choice. In such cases, you can simply
> install PostgreSQL as normal, but without initialising the database
> cluster. When the installation has finished, manually run the
> 'initdb.exe' program on the FAT partition. Security and reliability
> will be compromised however, and any attempts to create tablespaces
> will fail.
>

>>since ms does not include a compiler, and the source for 8.0 won't cross
>>compile from linux. ( gcc 3.3.0 )
>

> To compile the native port on Windows you need MinGW. And there's
> always the Cygwin port still. See:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/faqs/text/FAQ_MINGW
>
> Hope this helps,
rc5-2 msi will not install at all on a fat32 filesystem
even without initialising the database.
sorry but whole purpose of putting it on a windows box was to make db
app for a 250,000 person client base.
with some still using win95, some win 98, some winme.
all of which do not have ntfs support.

since the app will not be world accessable, only through localhost, the
lack of security isn't a major concern.

only plain text format email accepted.

smaller file size, no virus transfer
no proprietary file formats.