Re: adding procedural languages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: adding procedural languages
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Sibtay Abbas wrote:

>hi everyone
>
>ok i ve tried to add my own procedural language using
>the call handler interface.
>
>I am doining nothing in the handler function except
>tyring to print a mess through errmsg function
>(plz correct me if i am wrong here, since i cant see
>the message which i am printing)
>
>Now my question is that how can i explicitly specify
>that i want my pl language to be used.
>
>I think i have added my language successfully by
>following the procedure mentioned in the
>documentation.
>
>So now how do i inform the database engine to use my
>language for a specific query

Is this part of an academic project or something? Frankly, it looks to
me like you need to acquire a lot of basic knowledge about how
postgresql works internally before you even start thinking about what
you are trying to do.

Serverside PLs can only be used in user-defined functions, and the
language used is specified in the function definition, as in
 create function foo() returns text language mypl as $$ <code in mypl> $$;

cheers

andrew