Re: Alternatives to Dell? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Alternatives to Dell?
Date
Re: Alternatives to Dell?
List pgsql-performance
Cott Lang wrote:

>Most of mine I got through a Sun reseller. Some of mine I got off of
>Ebay.  You should be able to get them a lot cheaper than than retail web
>pricing. :)
>
>However, even full retail seems like it was a hell of a lot cheaper for
>a v40z than a DL585. :)

That's true :) One of the reasons the compaq's are expensive
is they supposedly use a quad board, even for the dual machine.
Which means a different opteron chip as well.

I don't know this for a fact, it is just what one of their
"ahem" sales guys told me.

The IBM machines are seem reasonable though.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 06:30 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>Cott Lang wrote:
>>

>>>Consider Sun's new line of Opterons. They've been around for a couple of
>>>years under the Newisys name. I'm using dozens of them for web servers
>>>and PG servers and so far both the v20z and v40z have been excellent
>>>performers with solid reliability.  The pricing was also competitive
>>>since Sun is looking to break into the market.
>>>

>>Really? I am not being sarcastic, but I found their prices pretty sad.
>>Did you go direct or web purchase? I have thought about using them
>>several times but....
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Joshua D. Drake

>>>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster