Re: multiline CSV fields - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: multiline CSV fields
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Also, can you explain why we can't read across a newline to the next
>quote?  Is it a problem with the way our code is structured or is it a
>logical problem?  Someone mentioned multibyte encodings but I don't
>understand how that applies here.

In a CSV file, each line is a record. Reading across a newline for the
next quote (assuming the next field is quoted) would mean stealing
fields from the next record.

I did see one complaint about missing or extra fields at the end of a
record - I think it is reasonable for us to expect the data to be
rectangular, and not ragged.

(I hope this answers your question - I am not 100% certain I understaood
it).

cheers

andrew