Re: multiline CSV fields - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: multiline CSV fields
Date
Re: multiline CSV fields  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > >OK, then should we disallow dumping out data in CVS format that we can't
> > >load?  Seems like the least we should do for 8.0.
> > >

> > As Tom rightly points out, having data make the round trip was not the
> > goal of the exercise. Excel, for example, has no trouble reading such
> > data (or at least my installation of it).
> >
> > Personally I consider CSVs with line end chars embedded in fields to be
> > broken anyway, but this was something that was specifically mentioned
> > when we were discussing requirements, which is why I coded for it.
>
> OK, I am pretty uncomforable with this but you know this usage better
> than I do.  Should we issue a warning message stating it will not be
> able to be reloaded?

Also, can you explain why we can't read across a newline to the next
quote?  Is it a problem with the way our code is structured or is it a
logical problem?  Someone mentioned multibyte encodings but I don't
understand how that applies here.

Pennsylvania19073