Re: signal 11 on AIX: 7.4.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: signal 11 on AIX: 7.4.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9/17/2004 7:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
>> The problem comes and goes. So either I can cause a coredump just on the
>> snap by running a shellscript that does 100 psql -c "select version()"
>> calls, or it is next to impossible to crash it at all.
>
> Hmm, that's really bizarre.  It seems like the only satisfactory
> explanation for that would involve some external condition that varies
> over time.  I'm wondering about DNS lookup results in particular.
> What values are you asking getaddrinfo to look up, and might those
> involve consulting DNS?  If so, try to correlate the crash probability
> with changes in your DNS zone contents ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Except for one "localhost", one "/tmp/.s.PGSQL..." and the "543x" lookup
during the postmaster start, all lookups are IP addresses with
AI_NUMERICHOST set. And we have checked with tcpdump that the box really
does not issue DNS lookups.

Jan